So besides all of my healthy choices for removing stress and exercise I am also adding a little food for the soul. I have been trying to faithfully read in my bible during my kids' nap time every day except Sunday. I started from Genesis and I am now in the book Deuteronomy. The Old Testament is quite an interesting start in learning about who God is. Many who read it will focus on the fact that God was in a 'Killin' mood!' and definitely not someone to be trifled with. You had better obey what he says and don't question it or there will be consequences. Although it is very clear, from what I have read, that God has very specific expectations of the human race it doesn't make me think of Him as this rigid, mean, and angry God who will shoot you down with a lighting bolt if you get out of line. It shows me more of what I would think of from my dad or myself with my own children. That God is separated from us, His children, and that he is desperately trying to bridge the gap between us. His tenacity and perseverance to bring us closer to him and pour out His goodness on us is amazing to see. Unfortunately, the Israelites were such whining little ungrateful children they rarely saw that God had their backs. This has made me look at my own life in a whole new light. If God is the same yesterday, today and forever than what He did for those Israelite children He will do for me. I am not saying that manna will rain down from heaven and He'll drop a pile of quail on my porch for me to cook up for dinner, although if He wanted to I am sure He would. What I am talking about is this: all the time that I spend worrying about how the bills will be paid, will there be enough money for groceries, what if there aren't many jobs this winter for my husband, what if, what if, what if??!! Oh my goodness, how my brain can get me all tangled up in thought, it is ridiculous! My God who has proven throughout history that He has His children's backs has got mine also! Hello! Why it took this long for me to not just hear this truth but to grab onto it and make it my own, I don't know. But this means that I do not need to worry about how God will take care of my life. The point is He will and I don't need to waste my time, energy or health by trying to figure it out. All He has called me to do is trust Him with child like faith, that's it, plain and simple. My daughters are always asking me when we get in the car, "Where we are going?", "Do you know that it's almost lunch time and I'm getting really hungry?", "The car is hot! Can you please turn the air conditioner on?", etc. Of course I know all these things, this isn't my first dog and pony show with the kids! Yet, they still ask. Even though each time we get into the car I want them to simply trust me that I am fully aware of their needs and I already have a plan on how I am going to take care of them, I don't need them to remind me. So, how many times am I like my children with God? I buckle in for the ride with God for my life and pepper Him with questions like: "Where are we going?", "I'm hungry?" and "It's hot and I would like the air conditioning on?". It makes me laugh just thinking about how much we as adults with our walk with God are still like little children. So here it is, the big revelation: God is fully aware of all our needs and already has a plan on how he is going to take care of them. He simply wants us to sit back, trust Him and enjoy the ride. He is, after all, our loving Father.
No comments:
Post a Comment